Tuesday 13 April 2010

Response from Jay Cover

Jay got back to me really quick with some answers to my questions. Thanks Jay!

1. When you embark on a new brief to what extent does the production method inform the ideas you come up with?

Depends on the brief. My general working process is to attempt to embody the message in the method anyway, so I sort of preempt the notion that the method informs the idea, but that all depends on the brief as I usually adapt processes I use and research other processes to come out with an appropriate response. I suppose what you're getting at is the idea that some designers have a certain working method that they use, which mainly applies to illustrators who develop a portfolio of work to display a consistent visual language?


I'd say it was 50/50 really, as I occasionally use devices that I have developed in my personal practice, that I would like to see applied commercially, so sometimes the outcome is mediated by a process, which sometimes in the right context, is far more interesting in my opinion anyway. But generally I take each brief as it comes and deal with it in a way that would best communicate the point.

2. For you what is the attraction of using lofi processes in design and production like screen printing and model making?

I suppose the attraction is that there is a definite personal visual language, with character and personality of it's own / or it's makers. Also to my mind there's a great deal you can learn from hand rendered processes that you can't learn by working on a computer. I personally, simply, like to make things, I like what I learn from the processes involved in production and how I can apply & improve those processes. It's a good thing for expanding your mind as well as your skill set, as co-ordination between head & hand effects and informs ideas.

3. With the way graphic communication, advertising and promotion is becoming increasingly digitised why do you think a physical, printed products still hold such a fascination for designers?

There's always going to be an urge amongst creative people to express themselves, without the aid of a computer, to have a voice of their own making. The computer can be very restrictive and less immediate, when you can only see your creations on screen and not in your hand - sometimes this just doesn't satisfy. I guess?

4. To what extent do you think experimental and premium finishing techniques are relevant to non designers? Do you think the average man in the street will notice or care about your beautiful die-cut, spot varnished book cover for example?

I think if you present these processes appropriately and you are wary of their application, anyone will notice. You just have to use necessary techniques and not do superfluous things just for the sake of it, generally for your own self-satisfaction. On the other hand introducing unusual things into the public arena is never a bad idea, unless it's antagonistic.


5. Where do you see the future of graphic communication in 20 years, how much printed collateral do you think we will still need?

I don't know exactly what you mean by printed collateral - excess printed material presumably, collateral just means additional, it doesn't mean too much? Please advise? - sorry didn't want to sound patronising there, just Graphic design is about clear communication, this goes beyond what you produce, you have to look at what you're saying and question it.


I think the term graphic design is far too general in contemporary society, I don't actually consider most design agency's - designers, they just brand and market, re-present existing ideas and don't do it with much clarity, so hopefully the definition of design will adapt and become more clear. For me graphic design is progressive and making information accessible as well as looking at what you're saying, questioning why you're doing it. It's more for social benefit than for profit, or at least for both, design is for solving problems - not expanding pockets. I hope design will return to traditional values within the next 20 years, like the design of roadsigns etc, but keep up to speed with methods of communication being developed that will be less wasteful.

6. Were you involved in design pre the introduction of the apple mac?

Well the Apple Mac was released in the 80's, and I'm not quite that old. I didn't actually consider myself a designer until I finished Uni in 2007, when I got my first few commissions and I was getting more interested in type and reading more about graphic design. Before that I was just a do-er of things, visual things mainly. I guess I was involved in it, in that I was learning about it un-wittingly.

7. If you were what impact on your personal practice did the introduction of desk top publishing have? If not how has the role of the computer changed while you have been a designer?

Well I guess I was just on the cusp of most development, in terms of communication. Although I didn't notice as I was just doing my own thing. For me personally I use it alot more since graduating, obviously most jobs require being sent to printers so it's necessary and always has been since I've been practicing, I guess communication is the biggest thing though. Blogs were just taking off when I finished Uni Manystuff had just started and itsnicethat was also just starting, I think they both started just before I finished Uni, which wasn't very long ago, but they've come a long way in no time at all, comparatively, well the impact of them anyway. So the only thing I can say I've noticed is the use of communication, especially things like, anyone being able to set up a website and market themselves internationally for relatively low cost, which is great and has helped my practice enormously.

No comments:

Post a Comment